Design Manager required for Bridge Construction works in the Birmingham region.
Our client is a major civil engineering contractor who operate across the world and they are currently in the market for a Design Manager in Birmingham working mainly on bridge and road improvement projects valued up to £50m
Manage delivery of design on a major project working closely with commercial and production team in both preconstruction and construction stages.
• Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer. The design should deliver:
• Safety in construction and use
• Quality within affordable parameters
• Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact
• Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community.
• Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team including M&E elements. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties.
• Manage Subcontractor design packages and technical approvals
• Provide advice and guidance on the “buildability” of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages.
• Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required – such as town planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water.
• Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required
• Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
• Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
• Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to project manager and principal design manager
• Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, design deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme
• Support implementation of the BIM CSUK protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
• Support BIM management during the bid stage ensuring the supply chain is fully aware of BIM requirements
• This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services on site during construction stage and successfully implementing design strategies.
• Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure.
• The individual will know ‘what good looks like’ in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner.
• Good working knowledge of BIM is required. The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement.
• Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g. RIBA, BIBSE, IET, aligned to the workstream is recommended.
• A valid CSCS card is a requirement.
• Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential. Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream.
For more information on this role please send your CV and covering letter for the attention of Kris Asson or call our office on 01543 629090
We can ensure that either the client or candidate will receive a professional service giving guidance when required to ensure a high level of service on every vacany at all times.Get in Touch